S.T.A.R. Puppy Training for Adopters
STAR Puppy is a FUN six-week class designed to help teach owners and puppies the skills they need to be successful together and good neighbors in their communities. As an adopter of a Humane Society (or other shelter) puppy, we want to offer this training to adopters at the discounted price of $25 for a six week class. PUPPIES MUST BE BETWEEN TWO- AND SIX-MONTHS-OLD TO PARTICIPATE. Please see our CGC training program for older puppies or adult dogs.
Training classes teach you how to best communicate with your puppy. Organized training classes also provide an opportunity for your dog to socialize with other dogs. In classes aimed at earning the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy distinction, you’ll be able to get information on all of your puppy-raising questions including house-training, chewing, and the most effective way to teach practical skills such as coming when called. AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy training is a natural lead in to the AKC® Canine Good Citizen® Program.
Class will also address the importance of veterinary care, puppy first aid, and good grooming. This is a six week class, and you will need to commit to working with your puppy daily between class dates in order to be successful.
All behavior training programs are on hold until COVID-19 recommendations for gatherings and groups activities are lifted or modified. You may contact email@example.com and we will add you to the notifications list for when classes begin. If you have adopted a dog from HSPC, we do still offer free consulting and remote video assistance - contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance.
HSPC Training Operating Policies
- Puppies attending the S.T.A.R. Puppy Course MUST be between two- and six-months-old prior to the date of the first class.
- Refunds for class materials/facility fees will be given if the request is received 24 hours before the class start time. No refunds will be given for requests received within the 24 before class starts or after the session has begun.
- All animals attending classes must be current on all vaccinations. Vaccination records must be presented before class and must include the following:
– Rabies Vaccination (if the puppy is old enough)
– DA2PP Vaccination (with L&C Preferred)
– Kennel Cough
– Current on heartworm preventative
- There is no make-up class available for missed classes. If arrangements are made in advance, the instructor may be able to meet with students 10 minutes before class start time to go over what was missed. We will briefly review the previous week each class as well.
- If your puppy is sick, please do not bring them to class. If you have a question about what is allowed in class, please contact the instructor. You are encouraged to come to class without your puppy to see what is covered that day.
- IN RARE INSTANCES, the instructor reserves the right to expel puppies who show extensive aggression towards people or other puppies. Please be sure to disclose any aggressive tendencies that your pup may have to the instructor prior to registering.
- Puppies must be on a leash or in a carrier outside of the classroom.
- Please clean up after your puppy.
- Please don’t allow puppies to interact in class until the instructor gives permission.
Shelter and Business Office Address
Humane Society of Pulaski County
14600 Colonel Glenn Road
Little Rock, AR 72210