Canine Good Citizen Training for Adopters
The Canine Good Citizen program is designed and administered by the American Kennel Club. It is a series of ten tests of owners and their dogs designed to demonstrate that your pet is well behaved and obedient. As an adopter of a Humane Society shelter pet, we want to offer CGC training to adopters at the discounted price of $30 for an eight week class.
We believe that teaching your dog to be a valued member of his/her community is a responsibility of pet owners that we want to help with. Training provides mental stimulation which helps to keep your dog happy. It builds strong, positive relationships between pets and owners and teaches important life skills to your dog. Trained dogs are generally more sociable and are less prone to problem behaviors.
We don’t always know your shelter pet’s past, but we can help to shape a positive future!
Skills taught to the dogs in training include: (1) Walking Politely on a Loose Leash, (2) Sit, (3) Down, (4) Allow a Friendly Stranger to Pet the Dog, (5) Remain Still for Grooming, (6) Walk Politely Through a Crowd, (7) Stay in Place, (8) Come When Called, (9) Sit Politely Around Other Dogs, and (10) Remain Still w/Distractions Around
This is an eight-week class, and you will need to try to work with your dog at least a few minutes daily between class dates in order to be successful. Week Eight of the class, we will administer the AKC Canine Good Citizen exam, for those ready to attempt formal certification.
CURRENT CLASS ENROLLMENT CLOSED:
May 22nd, 6:00pm – 6:50pm (8 weeks long) (Full)
Next Class will start in JULY – email email@example.com to be notified when registration becomes available.
Classes will be held at Grace Presbyterian Church in Little Rock, located at 9301 N Rodney Parham Rd, Little Rock, AR 72227
HSPC Training Operating Policies
- Dogs attending the CGC Course MUST be at least six-months-old prior to the date of the first class.
- Refunds for class materials/facility fees will be given if the request is received 24 hours before the class start time. No refunds will be given for requests received within the 24 before class starts or after the session has begun.
- All animals attending classes must be current on all vaccinations. Vaccination records must be presented before class and must include the following:
– Rabies Vaccination
– DA2PP Vaccination (with L&C Preferred)
– Kennel Cough
– Current on heartworm preventative
- There is no make-up class available for missed classes. If arrangements are made in advance, the instructor may be able to meet with students 10 minutes before class start time to go over what was missed. We will briefly review the previous week each class as well.
- If your dog is sick, please do not bring them to class. If you have a question about what is allowed in class, please contact the instructor. You are encouraged to come to class without your dog to see what is covered that day.
- The instructor reserves the right to expel dogs who show aggression towards people or other dogs. Please be sure to disclose any aggressive tendencies that your dog may have to the instructor prior to registering.
- Dogs must be on a leash.
- Please clean up after your dog.
- Please don’t allow dogs to meet in class until the instructor gives permission.
Shelter and Business Office Address
Humane Society of Pulaski County
14600 Colonel Glenn Road
Little Rock, AR 72210